Friday, November 12, 2010

Regensburg, Germany

On Tuesday of my fall break, we took a day trip to Regensburg, Germany. We had a difficult decision to make. Go to a small town and spend the afternoon there or go to Berlin and experience it all in one day. After experiencing Karlovy Vary, we quickly decided that we wanted another small town.
Regensburg was an excellent choice. I don't know the exact details, nor will I look them up so that I can bore you with them, but I will say this. Three major items to note:
1. The Danube passes through the town. If you don't know, the Danube also passes through Budapest. I was tempted to either find a stick and tie a bright string around it and see if I could spot it when I got back to Budapest, or make a raft and sail back to Budapest.
2. The bridge that you see in the photos below is, in fact, a medieval bridge that was built during the crusades. It was used to crossed the river during two of the crusades.
3. The cathedral is St. Peter's Cathedral. It reminds me a lot of St. Vittus in Prague; however, I think that St. Peter's has much more amazing stone work. I wish I could have taken pictures of the hundreds stone wall carvings in the cathedral because the intricacy was spectacular. I don't think any work had to be done to renovate the cathedral after the World Wars; Regensburg was not significantly bombed.
St. Peter's Cathedral
David and Goliath...ON A WALL!

Graffiti Lovin'
The River, The Flag, and The Spires
Me, the Bridge, and the Spires
Reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment