Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cheb - The Beginning of Fall Break

I had fall break from October 30 to November 7. I began my fall break by going to Cheb, Czech Republic. (From my understanding, you say the Ch in Cheb like you are hawking a loogie) This smallish town is as far west as you can get in the Czech Republic; it is a 2 mile walk to Germany, I believe.

We visited two and a half other ESI teachers who work in Cheb. (I say half because the third teacher was with ESI last year.) Cheb is a beautiful place with supposedly one of the oldest castles in the Czech Republic. To note the size, we were given a tour of the city and we ran into several people that the teachers there knew.

I know that I live in a place filled with an elaborate history, ranging from Roman civilization to Nazi occupation to the reign of communism, but the history of the places that I live and have visited didn't hit me until I visited Cheb. When I stayed in Cheb, I was in a dormitory/class building that I found out was occupied by the Nazi offices. Upon further investigation, we found a picture of the town square with a huge crowd "heiling Hitler."

I'm living in a place with a huge history...

Garages

Lenin
The Town Square

If you have not done already, continue reading to find out about the rest of my fall break.


No comments:

Post a Comment