Monday, August 16, 2010

Why Desperate Distractions?

Desperate Distractions began as an email to friends during an exam week at school. I needed a distraction from my studying, but I didn't want it to be a mindless activity -- I would never pull away from it. So I searched for something that would speak truth in my life -- a quote, lyrics, a video, a picture, a thought -- and I would reflect on it, reading/watching/listening to it over and over again.

It became a daily activity. I would stay focused until one moment in the day where I needed a distraction; I needed a break. On one of the first days that I searched for a small truth, I found one that I couldn't contain; I had to spread it. After that day, I sent what I found to a group of friends every day during exam week, and so it followed every exam week. And so it follows now.

According to the OED, desperate means suffering extreme need or having a great desire for, and distractions means drawing away from one point to another. This is exactly what I hope to continue in this blog. It is my hope and my prayer that I may suffer extreme need to draw away and search for a daily truth. I want to have a great desire for God to be my distractions, and I want to share these moments.

What can you expect to see on this blog then? Items that have touched my life, that I have found truth and beauty in, and items that I hope bring reflection. This can range from stories, pictures, and journal entries of my adventures to random quotations and videos that speak to me at the moment. The random items might not have any immediate connection to what I am doing in Hungary, but they will surely have a connection to where my thoughts are.

So I hope you enjoy reading and I hope that I might bring some reflection or conversation to the table, but if I don't, I hope you at least enjoy the pitures.

Prayer Requests:
-For safe traveling this weekend for all of the teams.
-For a smooth adjustment overseas.

Blogs to come:
- An excerpt from a blog post by Jon Foreman
- How did I come to Teach Overseas?

No comments:

Post a Comment